PROGRAMS + SERVICES
National Honor Society for Dance Arts
Founded in 2005, the National Honor Society for Dance Arts is one of the most exciting benefits that NDEO offers Institutional Members. All NDEO Institutional Members, whether a private or public middle or high school, dance studio/academy, performing arts center or community center, are eligible to establish a chapter of the NHSDA for the benefit of their students.
Establishing a National Honor Society for Dance Arts in your school is one very important way that you can help advance the field of dance education. Celebrating the artistic and academic achievements of exceptional dance students helps to create honor and prestige within our field and improve our image to those outside the field.
Congratulations to NHSDA member
for being the NATIONAL WINNER of
NDEO'S Artistic Merit, Leadership and Academic Achievement Award
Joy Giuffre began studying dance at a very young age at Linda D’Amico’s Academy of Dance, where she still trains and is an assistant teacher, and has joined D3 Dance Center this year. Currently, Joy is a student at Passaic County Technical Institute in the Academy of Performing Arts Dance where she studies ballet, modern, tap, jazz, and dance composition, and participates in many performances with the academy. She is a member of the National Honor Society for Dance Arts and a member of Dance New Jersey. Last year, Joy was a National Finalist of the NDEO’s Artistic Merit, Leadership, and Academic Achievement Award. This year, she is a recipient of the Governor’s Award for Artistic Excellence and Leadership in Dance and is the National Winner of NDEO’s Artistic Merit, Leadership, and Academic Achievement Award.
Dance new jersey is proud of you and your achievement.
The following New Jersey schools and organizations have NHSDA chapters:
Belleville High School, Belleville
Burlington County Institute of Technology, Medford
Cranford High School, Cranford
Dance Innovations, Chatham
Dance Theatre of New Jersey, Mahwah
Inspira Performing Arts & Cultural Center, New Brunswick
Modern Motion Dance School, Somerset
Morris County School of Technology, Denville
OCVTS Performing Arts Academy, Lakehurst
Passaic County Technical Institute, Wayne
Ridge High School, Basking Ridge
Somerset County Vocational High School, Flemington
Today's DanceCenter, Medford
Union City High School, Union City
Union County Vo-Tech School, Scotch Plains
Watchung Hills Regional High School, Warren
School of Nimbus Dance Works, Jersey City
Dance Theatre of New Jersey, Oakland
Paramus High School, Paramus
Bayonne High School, Bayonne
WANT TO START A NHSDA CHAPTER?
Here are guidelines to help you through the process:
1) A school must have a current NDEO Institutional Membership before they can apply and be accepted to host a National Honor Society for Dance Arts Chapter. The annual dues for a K-12 school or performing arts organization are $185, and dues for an institution of higher education are $250.
2) A school must fill out an online new chapter application that can be found here.
3) A school should read the NHSDA Chapter Sponsor Handbook to learn how to set up and maintain a chapter. You can also consult with Tiana Chambers at the NDEO home office email@example.com or 301-585-2880.
4) Induction is based on a minimum 3.0 GPA and outstanding character. High school students also need to earn 30 points and middle school students need to earn 15 points.
5) When the student has earned his or her points and is ready for induction, the induction application should be completed by the student. The Sponsor will then approve the application once it has been submitted. Click here for the student application.
6) After completing the induction form, the school pays NDEO directly, either via check or online through the NDEO site in the amount of $8 per student multiplied by the number of students to be inducted. Once the payment is received, NDEO will create and mail out the induction certificates.
7) Schools can order the gold honor pins ($7 per student) and the blue/white honor cords for graduating seniors ($15 per student) directly from the NDEO website’s Online Store. You must log in with your user name and password to order NHSDA items.
8) For more information about National Honor Society for Dance Arts, visit the NDEO NHSDA webpage.
9) You may also contact Cristina Marte at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Dance New Jersey is a service organization committed to advocating the excellence of dance and dance education in the state.
Join Dance New Jersey's founding and leadership supporters by giving today.
Dance New Jersey is a nonprofit organization under Internal Revenue Service code 501(c)(3).
All contributions are tax-deductible to the extent allowed by law.